Skip To Main Content

You Are Here:

Military Scholarship

Monday, July 15, 2024

In addition to the GI Bill®, and the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, there are a wide variety of available scholarships designed to encourage and support veterans in their quest for a college education. These scholarships are supported by both public and private funds, and are offered to eligible veterans who have been honorably discharged from military service. Requirements and award amounts will vary according to the program.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Scholarships for Veterans

  • The American Legion Scholarship is available to all veteran members of the legion who are pursuing their undergraduate studies at an accredited college or university. Annual awards are $1000, and eligibility is determined by financial need.
  • The Pat Tillman Foundation offers the Leadership Through Action – Tilman Military Scholars program which provides financial assistance to veterans and active-duty military who wish to start, continue, or finish their college education. Award amounts vary, and eligibility is determined by merit as well as financial need. Applicants are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA, and must submit two essays for consideration.
  • Are you planning a career in the health sciences? The Florence Wood/Arkansas Occupational Therapy Association Scholarship awards $500 annually to a health sciences undergraduate or graduate student attending a college in Arkansas. Visit the American Occupational Therapy Foundation for info about the latest scholarships or address questions to Jeanne Cooper, AOTF Scholarship Program Coordinator, at email address or phone (301) 652-6611, Extension 2550.
  • Military Scholarships is available to help ease the burden, eLearners and EducationDynamics is awarding a new $1,000 scholarship to two lucky students who are Veterans, Active Duty Servicemembers or Spouses of Servicemembers or Veterans.

Scholarships for Dependents and Spouses of Veterans

  • Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship - The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) currently pays a benefit equal to the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. Beneficiaries attending school may receive up to their full tuition and fees for a public school or a statutory annual maximum amount for a private school, plus a monthly living stipend and book allowance under this program.The benefit is available to the children and surviving spouses of service members who die in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001.

  • Air Force Aid Society General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant Program - Are you the son or daughter of an active duty Air Force member, Title 10 AGR/Reservist, Title 32 AGR performing full-time active-duty, retired, retired reserve or deceased member? Or are you the spouse of an active duty member stationed stateside, or surviving spouse of a deceased member? The Air Force Aid Society (AFAS) offers the General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant based on family income and education cost factors in the amount of $2,000. Since the 1988-1989 school year, 82,287 grants were disbursed thus far.

  • Purple Heart Members and Family - Are you a member, spouse, widow, dependent or grandchild of the Military Order of the Purple Heart? If so, you might be eligible for the Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH) Scholarship toward higher education. For additional information, call (703) 642-5360.

  • ThanksUSA Scholarship - The ThanksUSA Scholarship ($3,000) is available to dependent children (24 years old and younger) and spouses of U.S. military service personnel. You must be a full - time undergraduate student attending an accredited college, university, or vocational / technical school and have a minimum 2.0 GPA. Selection is based on financial need, academic record, and demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities. Preference will be given to students who are the children or spouses of service personnel killed or injured during active duty.

Other Scholarships

Scholarship Searches